Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Obama to Highlight Tax Cuts For Middle Class in Speech

That's according to this Wall Street Journal article:

Barack Obama said he plans to focus on the struggles of middle-class Americans, including their tax burden, in his Thursday night speech accepting the Democratic nomination for president.

"The single most important thing I have to make clear is the choice we have in November between the same failed policy of the last eight years for the middle class and the new agenda to boost income for Americans and help families who are struggling," he said in a brief interview with The Wall Street Journal Tuesday. "I will make that contrast very clearly."

"In Missouri, and other battleground states, Republican ads say I would raise taxes… but my plan would provide three times more tax relief to the middle class," he said. "I don't think people realize that, and I hope that message will be absorbed by the electorate."
This means that we can expect a huge spike in traffic to Economists for Obama from people Googling for details on the Obama tax program. In preparation for this, I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to convert the Tax Policy Center's tax distribution tables into easy-to-use online calculator.

UPDATE: I discovered that exactly what I was working on has already been done!
Calculate your Obama Tax Cut here: http://www.obamataxcut.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea. So good that I already did it yesterday :)

ObamaTaxCut.com (Digg it here)

I've got a less partisan version online as well.

Anonymous said...

I like your calculator! It is very informative. But if Obama is (supposedly) cutting my taxes why I am getting more of a tax cut from McCain? (I used the calculator that gave me what both would give more for a tax cut.) I used the calculator for a family Married with one income, 3 children and 50,000 a year annually. I would get a bigger tax cut if I am below 35,000 or above 75,000. I believe there are a lot of American's that are in this same bracket (35-75,000 annually) and they would receive a better tax cut under McCain.