Friday, January 4, 2008

Can Anyone Beat Obama?

I think the answer is "no" for the Democratic nomination. Unless the Clintons come up with some serious dirt on Obama--and I expect they're planning to unleash whatever they have tomorrow or Sunday--it's very hard to imagine a scenario at this point that doesn't end up with Obama as the nominee. If you've got money at intrade.com, I would suggest you buy Obama.

Can any of the potential Republicans beat him? I think Huckabee, Giuliani, Thompson, and McCain have such serios problems that they would have no chance against Obama. Romney is the only one who would have a shot. Yes, he's a chameleon, but that's not a fatal flaw. If "electability" becomes the key criterion in the later stages of what looks to be a long Republican race, I expect Romney will be the nominee, notwithstanding his poor performance in Iowa.

No comments: