Thursday, December 20, 2007

The War Is Not the Issue?

Krugman continues his gripes about Obama's style in a short interview with TPM.

He doesn't say much new, but this bit struck me:

I guess I've been going on the view that no Democrat is not going to end this war, and no Democrat is going to start another war. I have not felt that foreign policy is the defining issue in the race to the nomination.
I think this is entirely wrong. All of the major Democratic candidates, Obama included, have sought to give themselves rhetorical wiggle room to keep at least some troops in Iraq. It will be extremely difficult for any president to end the war, as the Republicans will be screaming betrayal and insisting we would have achieved "victory" if the soldiers hadn't been stabbed in the back by the Democrats. Obama is the one most likely to actually manage to get the U.S. out of Iraq, because unlike Hillary and Co., Obama and his advisors opposed the war from the beginning.

No comments: